Buying a water filter is a pretty complicated task, and buying a countertop water filter can be even more complicated. There are so many things to pay attention to – size, price, quality, lifetime, statistics, efficiency… There are SO many things that we have to pay attention to, yet we have a very hard time comprehending them all at the same time.
- 1 What is a countertop water filter?
- 2 How Countertop Water Filters Work
- 3 Best Countertop Water Filters
- 4 The Countertop Water Filter: The Good and the Bad
- 5 How to Install a Countertop Water Filter
- 6 Benefits of Using Countertop Water Filter
- 7 Summary
That’s pretty normal. We suggest you to first learn a bit about water filter in general and then move on to the categories. Countertop water filters are just water filters that have to be, you guessed it, on your countertop.
We’re going to talk about the science behind them, the types that you encounter, and then we’ll move on and introduce you to six products that have been rated as best in this category by many users. After that, we’ll go over the must-know things when you buy a filter and we’ll summarize everything so you can make a proper decision for yourself! Let’s go!
What is a countertop water filter?
A countertop water filter is a water filter, but it has to be installed in your kitchen or bathroom, on the countertop. It’s usually connected to the faucet with a hose and it removes the weird odor or bad taste from your water. These are visible and they usually have minimal installation, which makes them a perfect companion for each room, car, van and so on.
How Countertop Water Filters Work
Countertop water filters function just like regular water filters, so we can’t talk about them as if they are any different from the regular types that we have already encountered. The filters are usually in a roller-like shape and they take water in, run the water through the filtration system and then the water exits and continues the regular „faucet path“ it has.
Types of Countertop Water Filters
What types are out there? Well, let’s categorize them and talk a little bit about each one.
- Carbon filters. These usually have one or a few layers of activated carbon, which filters inorganic and organic compounds. Because of the fantastic chemical structure it has, it usually makes „the bad stuff“ adhere to it and removes it from the water that way. Whenever you hear that a filter has a carbon layer, that means you’re safe from VOCs, pesticides, herbicides and other similar compounds. Use this filter if you want to be 100% sure that there’s no chloramine in your water.
- Ceramic filters. Ceramic filters don’t have any special „chemical-like“ properties, so they rely on the physical looks of the layers. These are made to have very, very tiny pores which let through only liquids and very small molecules. This should clean all of the bacteria and cysts, along with parasites, so if that is your biggest concern, you should choose the ceramic filters.
- Ultrafiltration. These are not self-explanatory, but the idea is that the water is pushed through fiber membranes that are made to filter specific atoms. These filters are usually more expensive because they are more precise, but they are a really good investment for those that want the best. This method also saves the essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- Water distillers. You have probably heard of the good old water distilling process. The water is forced to evaporate and then condensate, leaving behind all of the toxins, the dirt, the rust, the sand, the organic compounds and other things that cannot „turn back“ to liquids. It’s a pretty cheap method with great efficiency, so if you don’t mind the minerals being stripped away, you should get this method.
Best Countertop Water Filters
Now we’re going to briefly talk about these six models and mention their pros and cons. Make sure to follow through and to keep track of the things you are interested in most. Even if you don’t end up buying one of these models, you’ll have an idea of what you’re looking for. Let’s see what the best countertop water filter for you looks like!
Apex Countertop Drinking Water Filter
The first product on our list is a water filter system that removes spores, sediments, cysts and more. It’s made to sit on your counter, and it also looks pretty good so you don’t have to be worried about the aesthetic. You can easily install it in 15 minutes without a plumber.
This filter will make you eco-friendly and it will help you save money as well! It’s completely BPA free and leads free, which means that it’s safe for long-term use as well and your filtered water won’t be contaminated.
Make sure that you have a standard faucet because this filter isn’t made for designed faucets or sprayer faucets. The combination of calcite, micro felt pad, activated carbon and alkaline beads creates the perfect alkaline water for optimal performance.
|Reduces Contaminants In Tap Water||The APEX Clear Countertop Alkaline Drinking Water Filter System removes contaminants commonly found in tap water, like chlorine, sediment, and radon.|
|Environmentally Responsible||Owning your own bottleless kitchen water dispenser can not only save you money, but it is the responsible choice for helping to eliminate the millions of plastic water bottles piling up in landfills each year.|
New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Plus Water Filter
Our next product on the list is this 10 stage filter that has fantastic effectivity and it works perfectly in the removal of chlorine, organic and inorganic compounds, lead, pesticides, medical residue and more. It is attached to a regular faucet, so keep that in mind.
Don’t worry about heavy metals, as well as cysts and parasites, because this filter takes care of everything! The stages include two activated carbon filters, five different micron filters, fibers, and ion exchange resins!
With this filter, you’ll become eco-friendly because you’re not buying water bottles and the water waste created in the filtering process is minimal! It’s important to notice that you can also switch between filtered and unfiltered water, which is great because you don’t have to make the filter’s lifetime shorter as you use the filtered water to wash dishes and so on.
|Drink Safe Water||Enjoy fresh filtered water with the 10 Stage water filtration system that removes a significant amount of common water contaminants and bacteria found in tap water, including chlorine and lead, to help keep your water safe and clean.|
|New Wave Enviro||New Wave is a family-owned company based in sunny Colorado. Their Enviro Products are designed to inspire and support healthy, active living.|
Cleanwater4less Countertop Water Filtration System
Moving on, we’ll talk about the claenwater4less filter that needs no replacement filter and therefore it saves you even more money! It has a carbon filter that reduces chlorine by 97% and it also does a great job at filtering the rest of the nasty molecules like VOCs, the sand, the rust, and the dirt.
You can install this faucet without any tools and it has a very polished look that will fit into most minimalistic kitchens. You can use this filter to go through about 10 000 gallons of freshwater, and then you need to buy a new one!
The water tastes great because of the chlorine elimination, and you don’t have to worry about the flow decreasing after some time, the design is flawless.
|No Replacement Filters||Saves Money! Easy to install and comes with instructions and pre-filter included!|
|Granulated Activated Carbon||97% Chlorine reduction, effectively filters sediment, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), taste and odor from water.|
APEC Water Systems RO-CTOP Portable Countertop
Moving on, we’re taking a look at this reverse osmosis system that can be installed in less than 10 minutes! It’s a bit bulkier than the first two models, but it’s a great choice for anyone that needs a heavy-duty filter!
This product will remove barium, arsenic, fluoride, heavy metals and more! The four stages of filtration are sorted so the filter lasts longer, the big molecules get filtered away first and the fine resins encounter only the smaller and the more delicate toxins.
This filer works with regular faucets only and it has working pressure that varies from 40 to 80 psi, which is not too great, but it will suit most households out there. When you buy this product, you’re making quite an investment – you’re getting about 4 years of use out of this model.
|4-Stage Filtration||APEC high capacity filters are made in USA with high quality filtration components to protect and prolong the lifespan of your reverse osmosis system.|
|Easy Installation||RO-CTOP is designed with simple installation and maintenance in mind.|
Ecosoft Countertop Water Filter System
The Ecosoft filter is quite popular because of the very minimalistic and clean look it has. The system comes with a 2-year warranty and great customer service, in case you ever need to ask someone a question. The installation is very easy, it’s a screw-off, screw-on type of a product. No plumber needed, no special tools needed.
The carbon filtration works well at removing lead, bacteria, and everything related to medicine, pharmacies, and chemicals. This filter can last you anywhere between 3 months and half a year, depending on what you’re doing, how much water you’re spending daily.
It’s BPA free and removes chlorine, lead, and sediment particles and by-products as well. The minerals that your body needs are still left intact – you’re getting your potassium, magnesium, and calcium.
|Stay Hydrated||Stop depending on bottled water! With a brilliant countertop water filter system, all you have to do is to reach your kitchen sink!|
|3 Months Capacity||This epic countertop water filter system won’t ever fail you!|
Home Master TMJRF2 Jr F2 Counter Top Water Filtration System
Our last product on the list is another very minimalistic-looking one. It has three stages of processing, which means that it removes almost all chemicals such as chlorine, fluoride and more. It’s medium in size and can be installed in a few minutes. Because of that, you can move it around and use it in your car as well.
Beware, this filter can be used only on standard faucets! The stages consist of activated carbon, alumina and a compression disk that takes care of the particles. No volatile organic compounds in your water, no dissolved solids, except the minerals that you need!
|Highly Pure Water||Three-stage filter removes up to 93 percent of fluoride, chlorine, other chemicals.|
|Efficient, Space-saving Design||Compact design takes up minimal space and easily fits on any sinktop.|
The Countertop Water Filter: The Good and the Bad
Everything has positive and negative features. If you need a filter, that doesn’t mean that the right one for you is the countertop filter. We’re going to talk about the pros and the cons of having such a product, and then you can decide for yourself whether it’s a good idea to get this filter or maybe another type.
- no special installation, no drilling, no plumber needed, most of the job can be done in 15 minutes
- allows you to switch between filtered and unfiltered water in many cases
- cheaper than other types
- don’t take up a lot of space, just a little corner of your countertop
- low maintenance and easy to replace cartridges
- you can decide you don’t want them at any time, easy removal
- sometimes they don’t fit the aesthetic of your kitchen
- maybe you have a faucet that isn’t suitable with any of these filters
- the filtration slows down the flow sometimes
How to Install a Countertop Water Filter
Okay, so you probably want to know how the installation for these things works. The truth is, each model can be a bit different, so we advise you to check the manual, the manufacturer’s site or something like that before you start.
However, there is a very general process that usually applies to most of these, so you can keep it in mind if you’re looking to find a general idea.
- Unpack and clean everything. It’s usually enough to just wipe the product with a wet cloth, and we don’t advise you to do anything „bigger“ since chemicals may make it unhealthy.
- Remove your faucet’s aerator.
- Connect the filter if your faucet has a „hose-like“ adaptor on the outside, and if it does not, you have to use your adaptor and then screw the filter in. Don’t be too aggressive, that can break the adapted.
- Attach the diverter to the faucet.
- Make sure you let the water flow at least 15 minutes before you drink it.
Benefits of Using Countertop Water Filter
Okay, so what are the benefits of using a countertop water filter? Let’s talk about the ones that are obvious and related to water filtering in general… But also, let’s talk about how countertop water filters are sometimes superior to under-the-sink ones.
- Stay healthy and flush your body from toxins. There can be some very harmful things in our water – parasites, cysts, bacteria, chlorine and more. All of those can be bad for you when it comes to long-term digestion. Make sure that you invest in a filter and you don’t have to worry about getting kidney stones!
- You can install them and replace them whenever you want. Unlike other filters, countertop filters can be moved whenever you want because most of them are very portable, lightweight and the installation lasts barely 10 minutes. No plumber and tools, as mentioned before.
- Your coffee, tea, and soups will taste so much better when you use filtered water! You won’t feel and taste any sediments or chlorine, and you may notice that you also feel more refreshed!
- You’ll drink more water! Since it will taste nice, you will finally be more hydrated!
- It’s cheap and easy to maintain! Countertop filters are one of the cheapest models out there and you don’t have to invest too much money to get the proper results!
Now that we know everything about countertop water filters, you can go ahead and make a list of the features that you find relevant. You have to set up a budget, weight out the pros and the cons of each model and see which is good for your personal needs.
We also advise you to check the small things like warranties, policies and customer support. We wish you good luck in the buying process, make sure you don’t make a quick decision!